3/25/14

recipe: gluten free lemon ricotta pancakes

Whenever I increase my running mileage, I crave pancakes.  Sugar, carbs, a little salt...the stuff dreams are made of.  A few weekends ago, I broke down and decided to try a batch of gluten-free pancakes.  I've been wanting to try lemon ricotta pancakes for a while now, so I decided to go for broke and try two new variations on a classic at once.  I am so, so glad I did.  I made a big batch and had plenty left over to freeze.  We had some of the frozen batch this weekend for a birthday breakfast, and they turned out beautifully.  I can't recommend this recipe highly enough - gluten free or not.  Whip some up, enjoy, freeze, and repeat.  


Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
Recipe adapted from here

Ingredients:

  • Pancake mix  (I used Glutino Fluffy Pancake Mix.)  
  • Ingredients called for on your pancake mix box.  (Mine needed 1 egg, 1 1/2 C. milk, and 3 Tbs. oil)
  • 1 C. ricotta cheese
  • Zest of 2 lemons
  • Butter for cooking
  • Honey or Syrup
Directions:
  1. Combine ingredients for pancake batter according to package directions.  Mix to combine, leaving some lumps.  
  2. Add ricotta, stirring gently to keep the lumps in the batter.  Fold in lemon zest.
  3. Heat butter in a skillet over medium high heat.  Add pancake batter and cook until golden brown. 
  4. Serve warm with honey or syrup.  (We used a creamed honey...it was divine!)
*To freeze leftovers: Let pancakes cool completely.  Stack pancakes in single layer between parchment paper. (My stacks were the number of pancakes I would reheat for a single serving.)  Wrap stacks tightly in aluminum foil and place in freezer bag.  To reheat, remove a stack from the freezer.  Place pancakes in a single layer in a toaster oven for 5 minutes and serve.  You can also reheat in the oven at 350 for 10-15 minutes, but we found the toaster had better results.  

Enjoy!

xo,

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm! Anything with lemon zest in it is has me sold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum yum!
    Anything with ricotta is so good on my book!
    www.fashiontruffles.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Annie!
    What made you go gluten free and what have been the results? Expected? better than expected? I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete