1/25/13

winter weather survival

Happy Friday!  We are expecting our second "winter weather" event of the week today.  I know that doesn't seem like much to those up north, but it really throws things into a tailspin around here.  I think it's because it happens so rarely that people around here really don't have the tools to deal with it.  The weather forecasts on the news are frantic, the schools are closing early, and people are raiding the shelves of the grocery store.

The reality is that we will have some snow and ice for a few hours today and by tomorrow we should be back to normal.  All of the panic does make me a little nervous though.  I legitimately don't know how to drive on ice and in the snow.  I do have to be somewhere today at the time the storm is expected so my plan is just to go slow and steady.  I keep hearing keep your hands at "10 and 2" in my mind...over and over!

In honor of our weather event, today I am sharing my "winter weather survival" products and accessories: 


I use mainly drug store brands to keep my lips and skin from feeling too dried out in the winter.  I keep blistex and jergens lotion next to my bed and use it every night when I hop under the covers.  Just a quick shot on my hands and lips at night makes such a difference in the dry winter air.  The aquaphor is for the more intense times when I need LOTS of moisture.  I actually keep aquaphor year round and highly recommend it.  I use it on my face, my elbows, my lips, or anywhere else that gets extra dry.



While I don't wear hats often (definitely NOT good for my face shape), when the weather gets really cold I like to have a neutral hat to throw on.  The neutral color makes me feel like it is less noticeable and ensures I only need one to go with anything I have on.  (No use spending extra money to have variety with an accessory I don't like to wear right?!)  This hat from JCrew is a great neutral option that will keep you warm.  My other go to accessories are cashmere socks and gloves.  I love these knee high cashmere socks to wear under boots and these cashmere gloves have the "touch" technology so you can still use your iphone while wearing them.  

Hope you are staying warm this winter.  Do you have any favorites or products you turn to when the weather turns colder?  Help a transplanted Floridian out!

xo,



2 comments: