2/25/14

Recipe: Corn and Avocado Salsa

A quick birthday shout-out this morning...

Happy Birthday to my Chicken Little!  What a blessing you have been for the past 20 years.  I can't wait to see what the next decade brings for you!! xo
_________________________________________________


I am a huge fan of fresh salsa.  There is a Mexican inspired restaurant out at the beach with the best fresh salsa bar, and Josh and I sometimes drive out there for a quick meal.  My confession?  I go strictly for the salsa bar.  With my love for  good, fresh salsa fully exposed, I thought I would share one of my favorite recipes here today.  There is some chopping involved, but chopping just means you are using fresh, flavorful ingredients.  AND, it usually makes a big batch to snack on for the week - totally worth the effort in my opinion!


Corn and Avocado Salsa
Recipe adapted from The Gluten-free Kitchen

Ingredients:

Salsa:

  • 2 ears sweet corn
  • 1 small red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
  • 3 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1/4 C. cilantro leaves
Dressing:
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • Zest of 1 lime, finely grated
  • 1 Tbs. lime juice
  • 1 tsp. honey
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Directions:
  1. Whisk salsa ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
  2. Hold an ear of corn upright on a chopping board.  Use a large sharp knife and cut downward from the top, as close to the core as possible to remove kernels.
  3. Blanch corn kernels in boiling water for 30 seconds or until tender.  Drain and refresh under cold water.
  4. Combine corn with remaining salsa ingredients in a bowl.  
  5. Pour dressing over salsa to serve.
Enjoy!

PS: Serve with corn chips for a gluten free snack or side.  Also, feel free to add a green chilly, deseeded and finely chopped to the dressing if you want a little kick!

xo,


3 comments: