8/27/13

skillet roasted shrimp and okra

As I mentioned here, Josh and I recently signed up for home produce delivery.  We do get to pick the veggies that will be arriving at our doorstep each week, but we are trying to branch out and experimenting with new ways to prepare our favorites.  (I tend to stick with the good old olive oil and roasting method generally.)  This week, we got okra and it is Josh's favorite.  While I was a little nervous to mess with a good thing, I am SO glad I did!  This recipe is fantastic and super healthy.  Josh has been raving about it, and now is the perfect time to enjoy it before summer comes to an end.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!



Skillet Roasted Shrimp and Okra
Recipe from Southern Living

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound unpeeled, large raw shrimp (I had mine peeled and cleaned at the store to make cooking/eating a little easier.)
  • 3 cups fresh okra, cut in half lengthwise
  • 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
  • 1 pt. heirloom cherry tomatoes (I couldn't find these, so I just used regular grape tomatoes)
  • 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced (I used my tried and true pre-chopped garlic)
  • 1/2 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
  • Garnish: thinly sliced okra blossoms 
Directions:
  1. Peel shrimp; devein
  2. Saute okra in 1Tbsp. hot oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat 4-5 minutes or until browned.  (I put the cut-side of the okra down in the pan and try not to touch it for at least 5 minutes to minimize the "slime" factor that always comes with okra.)  Transfer okra to a bowl.
  3. Cook tomatoes in 1 Tbsp. hot oil in same skilled over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally 2-3 minutes until skins are charred.  (Remember to wash your tomatoes early and let them dry completely- water and hot oil do NOT mix well.)  Place in bowl with okra
  4. Saute shrimp, garlic, and dried crushed red pepper in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot oil in skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.  Stir in okra and tomatoes.  Add salt/pepper to taste; cook 1-2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.  Garnish if desired.  
Enjoy!
xo,


No comments:

Post a Comment